Friday, March 24, 2023

The Fur Jacket

            This is, or rather, WAS my best friend. She and I were very close, almost inseparable. I felt that nothing could destroy what we shared...or so i thought. We were asked to help clean out a neighbor's attic. It hadn't been cleaned in what felt like ages, in their words. What could go wrong? I thought.

            So, up the steps we went into that spooky attic. There was dust all over the place. Cobwebs far as my eyes could see. As we cleaned, my friend spotted something one wouldn't likely find in an attic: A woman's fur jacket. It could have been there for years. I didn't think it would fit either of us, but my friend thought it looked cool. She asked my neighbor if she could keep it. To my surprise, they allowed it.

            The first time I saw her in that fur jacket, we were in class. A very portly girl was sitting in front of her and blocking her view of the chalkboard. Without any hesitation, she spat out, "Hey, 'Wide-Ride'. You're in my way!" The whole room went silent immediately. It was that shocking, especially to me. She had never spoken before with such venom and nastiness in her voice. The girl, who was naturally cheesed, stood up and turned around to face my friend. "Wide-Ride" towered over her, but she was strangely not intimidated.

            "Oh, did I hurt your feelings?" She asked the girl she insulted. "Well, lah-de-freaking-dah! Get over it! And while I'm at it, what did your parents put in your milk? Steroids? Ha!"

            I couldn't believe that this was the same person I called a long-time friend. She was never this nasty, this rude, this...bitchy. It was fortunate that the teacher entered the classroom before anything happened. I don't even want to picture what could have been. I caught up with her again as we got on the bus home. To my horror, she acted as if it was no big deal.

           "Who hasn't wanted to tell that girl off? Be real." She told me.

           "What if she can't help it?" I responded. "Maybe it runs in the family."

           "So...you're telling me she comes from a family of circus freaks?" She laughed heartily.

           This was scaring me. I couldn't believe that in a matter of days, my gal pal had been replaced by someone so dark in spirit. Then, my thoughts returned to that fur jacket. Could it have been that making her act this way?

           "So...you like the jacket?" I asked.

           "Do I?" She answered. "Oh, don't get me wrong. I thought it was hideous and tacky at first, but it was like something possessed me to try it on. Then, I started feeling the fur, and it felt soooo good to my fingers."

           As she went on about the jacket, it began to dawn on me. Could that jacket have been put in the attic for a reason? Did it even belong to the neighbor that she got it from? Could it even contain some supernatural thing that was warping her head? The next day, I went back to the neighbor where we found it to get answers. When I asked, the neighbor apparently knew little about it themselves. They had seen it in the attic themselves when they first moved in and was only told that the family who had lived here previously had a daughter who was killed in a car accident. This could not be coincidence. That daughter, for all I know, just may be haunting that fur jacket. Now, she may be possessing my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mystery of Bermuda

               A college dropout, to his own shock, had won a contest that promised a trip for four to Bermuda. It came as a shock to him be...